Thursday, August 25, 2016

August BOTM Review: Circling the Sun - Paula McLain

Review by Coll
3 Stars
So I am a little late with this post, but it is summer so I am allowed to be a lazy. This review is on my August selection from the Book of the Month Club, Circling the Sun by Paula McLain. This historical fiction book chronicles the life of a woman named Beryl, who was born in England and moved to Kenya with her mother and father at a young age.  Her mother leaves to go back to England when she decides she cannot handle the new lifestyle and abandons Beryl to be raised by her father and the native Kipsigis tribe, who share the estate. The story follows Beryl as she grows, and struggles to retain her wild nature and unconventional lifestyle in the face of heartbreak, adversity, and being pressured to be a “proper” woman.

Circling the Sun pulled me in right from the very beginning and I really enjoyed it. The writing is done in such a vivid way that you can really picture Kenya in your head as you are reading, as well as all the people. McLain has this knack for giving such expressive accounts of the weather that you could almost imagine you were there, through the harsh droughts, and downpours of rain in the wet months. The character development was also wonderful. Beryl is such a strong woman with a wonderfully capricious nature, who you cannot help but love and root for the entire time. Whenever she was wronged in the book I found myself wanting to hurt whichever character it was that had ill-treated her. Even the supporting characters are portrayed well and you feel an emotional attachment to almost everyone in the book.

I often found myself struggling to deal with, and understand, all the rich people who had settled in Kenya and seemed so oblivious to much of the culture, nature, and hardships going on around them. They seemed to be in their own little world and I really felt enraged with them at some points. However, this is also something that you notice Beryl herself struggles with throughout the book. She does not always feel like she belongs in the same circle as the affluent people, and is quite often out of her element. So maybe the book was written in such a way to make the reader feel similarly to the main character, giving more of a connection. I just wish there was more about the native inhabitants of Kenya, because I feel it really would have added to a more authentic story.

One thing I ran into an issue with was the jumping over of periods of time, and leaving certain plotlines open and/or forgotten. I do not want to give away any spoilers so I will stick with vague examples. A character would be introduced into the story in a way that made it seem like they’d have a major role, or be the part of some emotional or important plot element. Then after a chapter they would be all but forgotten and remain in the story as only a vague background piece. Instances like that did not make much sense to me and it happened more than once. I found myself wondering “well whatever happened with that?” and I wish the book would have developed those points better or left them out completely. In regards to jumping over periods of time, a chapter would end and then the next one would start up days, weeks, or months later. It just made the story feel a little broken up to me.

When I give a book three stars I don’t see it as a bad rating, it is a quite good rating actually and means I enjoyed my reading experience a lot, but that there were a few issues that bothered me. I may have some grievances with Circling the Sun, but I must say that never once did I want to stop reading it or wish I had chosen another book. It was completely immersive, interesting, exciting, and very well written. I also found myself thinking about it whenever I put it down and was always excited to start reading it again. A small part of me wishes there had been more about Beryl’s ambition to fly planes and her success in that, but this book was focused more on her growing as a person and her horse training. Overall I think this is a great book to read if you are a fan of historical fiction (and even if you are not) and it will keep you engaged until the very end.

“People interest me so much. They’re such wonderful puzzles. Think of it. Half the time we’ve no idea what we’re doing, but we live anyway.”

Interested in Circling the Sun? Check it out on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment