Friday, August 12, 2016

#FridayReads - August 12, 2016

Tiina
Well, well, well, long time no see. Read. We missed a couple of Fridays due to our busy schedules and summer holidays. We are back now to regular scheduling of a couple Friday Reads a month. I have a rather free weekend this time, and I am planning on doing a fair amount of reading. My main reads will be a book for my library book club, which is Han Kang’s The Vegetarian. It’s translated from Korean and features a women who decides to become a vegetarian, which is a controversial move considering the supposedly meat-centric South-Korean cuisine. I haven’t started as of yet, but it did win the Man Booker International prize, so hopefully it’ll be enjoyable. My second read is another buddyread with Coll. Woohoo! I do love my favourite buddy read partner. This time we’re working on David Mitchell’s The Bone Clocks. It started off oddly. There was a fun WTF-moment on page eight, and people? I am scared! It also gave me a semi-nightmare about having to pack for an apocalypse/escape from home so there’s that. That does not bode well. Then again my organised mind DID love the packing aspect. What am I even talking about now? Back to books. If I can, I also want to pick up Heather Demetrios’ I’ll Meet You There. It is a YA contemporary, but seems to deal with heavier themes than the usual YA fare, and focus less on the romance aspect. I don’t exactly know what I feel like reading so apart from the set book club choice and buddy read, my plans are wide open :). Can’t wait!

Coll
Similar to Tiina, I should have plenty of free time this weekend to read. The weather here is acting pretty drunk and the weekend will be a little over 100F (40C) so I will spend plenty of time indoors reading with the AC on. (What the hell did people even DO before AC?) My first book I am working on is Bone Clocks, the buddyread Tiina mentioned. David Mitchell is one of my favorite authors so I am incredibly happy to finally be reading this book. In typical Mitchell fashion, it is odd, creepy, intriguing, and beautifully written. Tiina finds it nightmare-inducing at points, I find it spellbinding. ;-) Needless to say I am really enjoying it. I am also reading Circling the Sun by Paula McLain, which is my Book of the Month Club choice for August. It is historical fiction about a young girl, Beryl, who was born in England but then moved to Africa with her parents at a very young age. Once there she is abandoned by her mother, who cannot take the new lifestyle and goes back to England. She is raised by her father and the native Kipsigis tribe who share the estate, learning more how to be free and wild than like a “lady”. The story follows Beryl though her unconventional childhood, her difficulties in growing up and being pushed to be a proper lady, and her desire to make her own way and fight to do the things that make her happy. I am actually really loving this book so far and find myself always looking forward to picking it up again. Then, finally, I am working on Abaddon’s Gate by James S.A. Corey, the third book in the Expanse space opera that has completely consumed me. It continues to be a wonderful mix of sci-fi drama, action, horror, and politics that I get totally immersed in. So yeah, those are my main focuses for this weekend. It should be more than enough to keep me occupied, I think. ;-)


So there you have it, our plans for this weekend. We would love to know what your reading plans are! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment