Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Reader - book to film!

The Reader (by Bernhard Schlink) is a translated German novel about 15-year-old Michael Berg who has an affair with a much older woman, Hanna. Note, that’s the age of consent in Germany. The title of the book refers to Michael, who often read to Hanna from his assigned literature. Their tumultuous affair is rather short-term but it influences them both, in different ways, the rest of their lives. The novel itself deftly deals with guilt and blame that has affected several generations. It is a well-known book, so I’m sure it’s not spoilerific if I tell you it deals with Nazis and the Holocaust. The novel itself is often long-winded, but at the same time it’s not too emotionally charged, which really fits the subject matter. The quiet intensity got the point across more effectively, I think. This is one main difference that the film had – it was a lot more emotional, and it worked for the cinematic adaption.

The film (2008; dir by Stephen Daldry) was quite similar to the book, although the first employed the known cinematic device of Grown Protagonist Looking Back on His Life. I’m sure there’s a shorter name for it… Flashbacks, I guess. Other than this merely technical aspect of the narrative, the film was a fairly close adaption. As avid readers know, the book is usually better, but I think in this case the film held its own very well. Unfortunately, some pivotal scenes were left out and later referenced by a slightly corny – yet typical – flashback. You know the one where the Protagonist guesses The Big Secret. Or maybe I am just bitter the film dared to deviate from the source material. You will never know.

Some aspects of the film were slightly slow-moving and could have been edited out. I also watched the deleted scenes and felt most editorial decisions were justified. I’m sure the professionals of the trade are glad a novice like me approves.

As to the acting? Well, I guess the Academy Award speaks for itself. Kate Winslet was really, really good. Those court scenes gave me chills. David Kross, who played the young Michael Berg, was also good and had the moody surliness down pat. As to Ralph Fiennes? Is it inappropriate of me to say I’d love to listen to any audiobook he has narrated? Probably. He was often slightly stiff, but there was a scene in the end that made me cry, so really, what do I know?

I also really liked how the narrator’s thoughts were actually incorporated into the film by having teachers of professors say them. The legal aspect was also extremely intriguing. Do we adhere to the laws of our time or the laws of THAT time when judging crimes like this? Can we claim “there are matters one simply cannot get drawn into” despite the repercussions they would’ve had in that period? This is why I enjoyed the seminar discussions after each court session; I can’t remember them being as powerful in the novel itself. “Everyone knew.” Chills galore!

It’s good to see a film that stayed so true to the novel. I can only imagine how extremely emotional it is for people who haven’t read the book before. It is amazing that I feel for someone who did such horrible things to other people, and yet I hated the other defendants. It shone through that the author is a judge, I think. Definitely gave the book a more serious air.

My favourite parts? The court scene; another scene towards the end that would be considered spoiler-y Hanna learning to read and write, and of course all the scenes of Michael reading to her – those were very well done. All in all, I would recommend the book for people who are interested in how the atrocities committed by technically the select few will influence the whole of that generation, but also the future of the country.

“[S]o what would you have done?” Hanna meant it as a serious question.

No comments:

Post a Comment