Thursday, May 19, 2016

Buddy Read Review! - Rebel of the Sands

T: One of the reasons why we started this blog was to have a more official outlet for our buddy read discussions. So far, we've been kind of slacking on that, mainly because we've been unable to find a medium that works for a joint review. So here goes. It's going to be awkward, people.

Coll: Man, why did we never plan this out if it was our main reason for doing a blog? LOL

T: Because we got carried away with choosing the appropriately bookish wallpaper and fonts? Anyways, we ask you to bear with us if you are reading this. The buddy review is a work in progress and your feedback would be appreciated! So, how about I kick this off. Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton. All I heard before starting was that the book is a Middle Easterny YA fantasy with a kickass heroine. Also, the cover is drop-dead gorgeous.

Coll: Well I have always been a YA fan (#noshame) and the idea of this being Middle Eastern set came off as very awesome to me. It was just something so out of the ordinary in terms of YA novels, which often follow a certain theme in terms of setting and the nationalities of protagonists. So yeah, this being so out of the box made me really enjoy it, as well as the desert setting. Hell I think the majority of desert set books I have read have been non-fiction, so this was a nice change for a fiction book.

T: Oh yeah, I agree with it being completely unusual and a little bit different to the typical US- and UK-centric literature that it out there. Also, the only other desert books I’ve read have been historical crime fiction, so this seemed like a treat. The novel had overwhelmingly positive reviews so the hype made me slightly hesitant, but I ended up really loving the book. I think it’s a strong 4.5 stars in my opinion, and I can’t wait to continue on with the adventure. I knocked off half a star because I didn’t feel thoroughly connected to the characters throughout the whole book.

Coll: Yeah, one of my big issues, which I am sure has become apparent from my reviews, is that I really want strong connections with the characters. If that is missing for me it becomes a slight dilemma, and unfortunately that was one of the flaws for me with Rebel. I did not feel especially connected or sympathetic to the main character. I actually felt more of a bond with a secondary character than I did the main, so that threw me off a bit. But that is kind of a small complaint for me, I suppose, because of how much I enjoyed the story. One aspect that I fell in love with was the melding of mythos with reality in the world the book is set in, Miraji.

T: Yep, I agree. And I don’t often read books about djinnis so that made it even more special for me. I think the author walked that fine line between info-dumping and brilliant world-building very well. It would’ve been easy to just explain everything at once, but I loved how we got smallish bits throughout the whole thing. Also, we got not only the mythology of one country, but an idea how a similar legend was transformed in different cultures. This was so well-done, I think.

Coll: Oh yeah definitely! I will admit it threw me off a bit at first because I did not know how much of the myth and folklore would be worked throughout the book, but only a few chapters in I realized how brilliantly Hamilton was merging everything together. I mean, throwing a fantasy aspect into a book will usually hook me, meld it with reality and I am all yours. There was also a romance facet in the book that was not overbearing, which made me very happy. I have had many a book ruined for me by the story getting interrupted by romance and that was one of my fears going into this book. I feel like it was all done on the right levels though, and it actually helped to build the story.

T: Yep, and it wasn’t instalove. Yes, in a way there was attraction right away but mutual respect took time to develop. I actually wanted a tad more romance (of course I did), and I loved, loved, loved how there wasn’t a hint of a love triangle. Yet. There better not be one, is all I’m saying! Sidenote. Were you also trying to figure out which actual Middle Eastern/European/African countries inspired the fictional ones? I did, but hopefully being ignorant about world politics will actually pay off in the sense that I won’t be spoiled for the possible future plot points ;-)?

Coll: Well of course you wanted more romance. You aaaaalways do. But for me it was just right. ;-) And yes, I did spend a great deal of time trying to figure out the locations that inspired the setting. I actually got so into thinking about that at one point that I had to shove those thoughts aside and just get on with the story. Overall I enjoyed almost everything about the book. Sure there were a few issues for me, such as some shortfalls with character development and lack of attachment, also I felt some parts were just a little too rushed. But as is the case with many first books in a series, it is a lot more about building the story before getting to the meat of everything.

T: I kind of agree about it being slightly rushed. The ending and ultimate showdown felt a bit confusing and quick. Still, it was great fun and I can see how it’s setting up for sequels. Now, one last thing that I have to mention: one of my favourite things was how I completely misjudged any coming plot twists. Everything I guessed would happen, didn’t. I loved that. Also, what did you end up rating the book?

Coll: Yeah, some parts left me a little let down, like I expected a bigger final climax after everything, but it was still enjoyable for me. And oh hell yeah, I was WAY off the mark with my predictions, so kudos to Hamilton for fooling us. Actually, one of my favorite things was how all my predictions were wrong because then I got to be surprised in the end. I went with a four star rating. I found the book incredibly entertaining and I did not want to put it down. Any issues I had were small in regards to the big picture and I will definitely be continuing with the series. How about you?

T: Definitely picking up the second one. Thankfully the ending didn’t feature a huge cliffhanger so I won’t be dying.  All in all, this was a fun book. Like I said before, 4,5 stars. It was a really quick read and I really do look forward to the future instalments. I just hope the covers are as gorgeous. ;-)

Coll: Well I could have done with a slightly bigger cliffhanger, but you know me, I am a glutton for punishment like that. But yeah, altogether a fun read, unique plot, and awesome world. I have high hopes that the series will just continue to get even better and I look forward to the day where I am once again immersed in the world of Miraji. So there you have it, our take on Rebel of the Sands. We hope you enjoyed our first Buddy Read Review. Thanks for tuning in! :-)


“Tell me that and we’ll go. Right now. Save ourselves and leave this place to burn. Tell me that’s how you want your story to go and we’ll write it straight across the sand”

No comments:

Post a Comment