Friday, July 8, 2016

#FridayReads - July 8, 2016

Tiina
Hi everyone! It’s time for Friday Reads again! How is it July already?! I know I say something akin to this at the start of every Friday Reads but I mean seriously… Where IS the time going?! Also, it’s my birthday on Tuesday so I’m extra sensitive about time passing just about now. OK, drama moment over, I’ve come out of my gentle swoon on the chaise longue. What am I reading this weekend? Well, I’m glad you asked! I am not sure! All right, I know I’m definitely reading Ann Patchett’s State of Wonder for my library book club, which is about a pharmaceutical rep who goes to the Amazon jungle to find a doctor who’s gone, well, rogue. I’m liking it so far, Patchett really does have a way with words and comes up with neat little character histories. You can definitely tell her background’s in short stories – she just weaves together moments from characters’ lives into a cohesive story. Her attention to detail is incomparable. In addition to that I am reading an actual short story collection: Sweet Home by Carys Bray. I can’t say that I am enjoying the book, but I’m enjoying the reading experience. So far, the stories have all been very disturbing, but I can’t stop thinking about them. Again, as with Ann Patchett, it is unbelievable how fast these writers pull you into their narrative. You only need a couple paragraphs and you are hooked, on the edge of your seat and/or biting your nails. I think that’s going to be about it. I’d also love to squeeze in one last #DoubleLettersTBRathon prompt, but I’m not sure that’ll happen. One’s a horror book that mentions killing children in the first paragraph so I quickly put that back down. The other’s a 400+ page contemporary and I’m not sure how much reading time I’ll have due to work. That’s it for me. I wish you all a relaxing and bookfilled weekend, though!

Coll
Well, this is awkward; I am still reading some the books I talked about on Sunday so I don’t know what I have to write about here. Also, in my defense, the two books I am still reading are kinda long. I am also visiting family on Saturday so I am not sure how much reading I will be fitting in. Of course I will be working on Caliban Wakes by James S.A. Corey, as well as Slayers by C.J. Hill, which I need to finish before the #DoubleLettersTBRathon comes to a close. As far as books I WASN’T reading last time we spoke, er, blogged, I will be reading The Children of Old Leech: A Tribute to the Carnivorous Cosmos of Laird Barron. I know, some title huh? It is a book of horror short stories by various authors, and the stories are super-weird and very creepy. Needless to say I am loving every second of it. It is my bedtime reading book presently, and nope, there is nothing wrong with finding horror comforting to fall asleep reading, although Tiina begs to differ. I also want to knock off one more book for the TBRathon so I am torn between two for a five-word title. The first I am considering is Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. It is a memoir of essays from when Sedaris moved from Paris to New York. It is supposed to be quite hilarious and I have owned it for a while now so why not. The other book I am debating reading instead, is Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras & Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature by Jerome Clark, Loren L. Coleman. Don’t judge. I have been obsessed with Cryptozoology for years now, the pseudoscience of searching for creatures whose existence has not yet been proven because of lack of evidence and what not. (Maybe it is not too late for a career change.) So yeah, my five-word title book will be one of those two. Right then, I guess that is about it for this weekend. 

So we seem to be reading an odd mishmash of books and we would love to know what you are reading too!

No comments:

Post a Comment