Sunday, July 3, 2016

#SundayFunday - July 3, 2016

Tiina
Having been a slacker yesterday, I have to spend a lot of today working (the joys of freelance deadlines). However, I will fit in some reading time. At the moment I’m focusing most on Every Word by Ellie Marney. It’s the second book in the Every Breath trilogy, which is a loose retelling of the Sherlock Holmes stories. The main characters are “Mycroft” and “Watson”, instead of Sherlock. It is funny, it is kind of saucy, but it is also a great YA mystery. I finished the last one and picked the new one up right away. I think I’m really going to love the underlying romance in this trilogy. I also started listening to an audiobook during a long drive with the boyfriend. It is called Furiously Happy, which chronicles Jenny Lawson’s battles with mental illness. It is very heavy, serious, and shockingly honest, but it is also incredible funny. A real “laughing/hysterically cackling out loud”-kind of book. My next read for my real life library book club is Ann Patchett’s State of Wonder. I have really enjoyed everything else I’ve read by her: A Story of a Happy Marriage (brilliant!), and Bel Canto, so I can’t wait to dig into it. That’s about it. I think that’s quite enough. Now just to finish up that pesky work so I can hop onto the sofa and read a freaking book. I hope Coll’s holiday weekend reading plans are a bit more exciting.

Coll
So right now I am thoroughly obsessed with Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. The book is set to be released on July 26th and I was lucky enough to get an ARC via Netgalley. The book is completely and utterly mind-bending and I am loving every second of it. It is hard to explain without giving away spoilers, but the premise is a man, Jason Dessen, is kidnapped one night on his way home and when he wakes up the life he knew no longer exists. His house is not his house, his wife is not his wife, and his child does not exist. As he tries to figure out what has happened to his life, he is hunted by people who swear they know him, or at least the Jason that he has no recollection of. I just reached a huge “ah-ha!” moment and shit has really started to hit the fan, so yeah. Wow. When I tear myself away from Dark Matter I will be continuing on with Caliban’s War by James S. A. Corey, the second book in the Expanse series. It continues where Leviathan Wakes left off and follows Holden, his crew, and some newcomers, as they try to save the universe from war, as well as an even greater and terrifying threat. And since I have an extra-long holiday weekend, either today or tomorrow I also plan on starting Slayers by C.J. Hill (aka Janetter Rallison). This YA fantasy book is about a group called the Slayers, who are descendants from the slayer-knights, a group who killed off the dragons many years ago. After the dragons were killed off a select few dragon eggs were preserved and kept dormant, to keep the dragon lineage in existence. The eggs have fallen into the wrong hands and the Slayers need to find them and prevent them from hatching before it is too late. So yeah, that about covers my reading plans for today and tomorrow. I hope you all have some awesome reading plans as well


We would also like to wish a very happy Fourth of July to everyone in the US. :-)
 




No comments:

Post a Comment