Thursday, March 10, 2016

Books about books!

My personal genre kryptonite – something I absolutely can’t resist – is books about books and reading. It can be about reading as such, or it can be loosely set in a bookshop or library, or feature a bookseller/writer/voracious reader/a mysterious book of Secrets. If the novel or non-fiction book deals with any of the forementioned, then I will add it to my TBR and attempt to read it. Here I will mention a few that have stayed with me over the years, and also add a few that I really can’t wait to read. A note of warning: once you start thinking about this subgenre, you’ll see these books everywhere!

I am by no means the only one who enjoys reading about other people reading. At least I hope I’m not! Here are a few recommendations of books I’ve read, and then a couple that I am aiming to read.

Fiction books first. One of the well-known ones is definitely Carlos Ruiz Zafon’s  The Shadow of the Wind. I found the English translation a tad awkward, but I think the story is definitely worth the time it takes to get used to it. The historical novel follows the son of an antiquarian bookseller who is pulled into an ominous mystery when he is given a book from the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. The novel is bookish, extremely quotable, and beautiful. Bonus points for being set in the beautifully evocative Barcelona.
If you love funny books and are not afraid of committing to a series, then I would recommend the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. The first one is The Eyre Affair and follows a literary detective (!) Thursday Next in an alternative version of Great Britain. It is extremely funny and so well thought-out that I urge everyone who loves books to read it. Next books in the series also feature characters from novels and other texts, and naturally hilarity ensues. Especially fun if you love Jane Eyre.
Possession by A.S. Byatt is another historical novel - it is historical metafiction - and covers a literary mystery. Two contemporary literary scholars attempt to uncover a previously unknown love affair between two Victorian writers. The novel includes excerpts of both writers’ work so A.S. Byatt is definitely one kick ass lady for managing that. “Literary critics make natural detectives,” as the protagonist says. Watch out, Sherlock.
I also have to briefly mention Roald Dahl’s Matilda here. You are never too old for Dahl’s children’s books and this one is a must-read for any avid reader.

On the non-fiction side I also have a few favourites. Firstly an epistolary memoir (written in letters) that is in my top three favourite books. 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff is a bibliophile’s absolute dream. The memoir focuses on the author’s decades-long friendship with an English antiquarian bookseller, and it is just so heart-warming and great. Definitely tugs at your heartstrings.  Most editions also include Ms Hanff’s  diary from her first trip to London; her experience and outright joy over being there is especially relatable for people who have finally managed to visit their dream country.
The second must-read non-fiction book is Nick Hornby’s The Complete Polysyllabic Spree that collects articles he wrote for the cultural magazine Believer (the sequel is Stuff I’ve Been Reading). You don’t even have to have the same literary tastes as him, you’ll be pulled into the book regardless. Furtermore, it is best for people who love buying new books and/or reading about other people doing so. It’s fun, and it’s a good introduction to Nick Hornby if you are fearful of his novels. Not sure why you would be, but that’s what they say.
And the last quick recommendation for travelling booklovers: Jen Campbell’s The Bookshop Book. It is exactly what it says on the tin. It features amazing bookshops all over the world (often with pictures) and great literary tidbits. I finished the book with a 5-page Bookhop Bucket List so be warned. 
Now some books that I want to read. Alberto Manguel’s The Library at Night, a collection of essays on everything bookish. Then a memoir by Stephanie Staal (Reading Women: How the Great Books of Feminism Changed My Life) who recounts what she learned from reading famous feminist works. Also, as an avid romance reader, I immediately ordered Maya Rodale’s Dangerous Books for Girls: The Bad Reputation of Romance Novels Explained. I am sure it’ll be fun. I don’t believe in guilty pleasures, but if someone you know does, then this will surely give you fuel to “defend” your reading tastes. Can’t wait to get to those soon.

You can also ask us for further recommendations or then head onto Goodreads via the following link.  ). Reader discretion advised on this list of books about books; you’ll end up with a severely increased TBR pile!  https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/books-about-books

No comments:

Post a Comment