Thursday, September 15, 2016

Buddy Read Review - My Lady Jane

Coll's Rating: 3.75 Stars
Tiina's Rating: 3.5 Stars
T: This time we’re buddy reviewing My Lady Jane by Jodi Meadows, Brodi Ashton, and Cynthia Hand. These three ladies focus on one story in particular and then take vast liberties with it. I have to start with a confession, despite having studied English history, I couldn’t remember much about the actual Lady Jane Grey. So basically I went in with very little knowledge of the story: apart from the actual Henry VIII, his wives, and the succession issues. I did love how the E∂ians (pronouced Ethians) symbolised the Church of England. I think that was my favourite part. Such a clever twist.

C: Yeah I remembered a decent amount about Jane so I was excited to see how they would work that historical story into something more fantastical. There seemed to be a decent amount of research done by the authors before writing it, but it is a rather loose account of the story, which was the goal I guess. I am a HUGE fantasy fan so I loved the elements they used to twist the story into something more magical. E∂ians, people who could shape-shift into animals, and Verities, the people who opposed them, was a great way I think.

T: Exactly. I mean to take apart history like this you need to know the nuances well, and it worked in this case. The fantasy element was done well, it was really seamless. After reading the blurb I kept thinking how they’d work the horse thing into the story, and I was surprised as to how easily I accepted it. It is also interesting how the three authors worked well together. That can’t have been easy. Do you think each of them was in charge of one narrative voice (Jane, Gifford, and Edward)?

C: Oh yeah, I totally think they each wrote a certain character. I think that is why it worked so seamlessly for me. Usually I don't like author collaborations because they can be a bit choppy sometimes, but I think having each author voice a different character is a great technique to use. I also agree with you that the fantasy aspect was presented in a way that was believable to me, which is always a sign of a good fantasy story. Also is it just me or did this read a lot like a fairy take to you? The entire time I was reading I kept thinking "Hey this is so like a fairy tale for adults!"

T: Ha, good point about the fairy tale. It wasn’t my immediate thought, though. I got more Princess Bride vibes. And this reminds me of how I enjoyed the allusions to other more modern literature. I think it was a fun twist. By the way, they will also cover two more Janes: Jane Eyre and Calamity Jane. The first is my favourite book so I look forward to seeing how they fare with her. I don’t think the story needs too much changing, however.

C: Okay so as much as I did enjoy My Lady Jane, I did have a few issues while reading it. I don't want to give any spoilers so I will try to keep this vague but informative. Throughout the story there were little comments scattered about by the authors, usually relating to what was going on. While oftentimes I found these funny, they did start to grow tiresome at a point. I also found they went off on tangents sometimes that seemed unnecessary. So I had mixed feelings on that aspect. What did you think?

T: I agree. I’ll admit, for the first half of the book, they didn’t bother me all that much. I’m a huge fan of parenthesis, so I was definitely biased. However, in the second half (and especially in the last 50ish pages) they actually annoyed me. I understand they are meant to take you out of the story, but it wasn’t done perfectly, as it was more annoying that informative. Less would have been more in this case. Also, I think in general my hopes were too high for this book. I heard only good things and how hilarious it’ll be, so the whole novel actually fell a bit flat for me. Some of the jokes were even a bit lazy and obvious. They came
Cover comparison:
Paperback    vs    Hardcover
off as authors’ inside jokes, and those can be done well, but they didn’t all work here. 
My rating for this book is thus 3,5 stars. I liked it, I enjoyed reading it, but it wasn’t absolutely amazing. On Goodreads I rounded it down to 3 for a very superficial reason: I read the paperback and I just did NOT understand that cover decision. The hardback one is so crisp, lovely, and extremely striking. The paperback one comes off severely dowdy in comparison, although I see how it’s meant to look like paintings at the time. 
What about you, Coll? Rating?

C: Oh man I was so torn on my rating. I loved reading the book and was always looking forward to picking it back up. To me it was a great example of YA historical Fantasy (is that a thing?) and I did find it quite funny at times. I caught some ASOIAF references (GoT for those who didn’t read the book series) and that I really appreciated. I was at 4 stars until something at the end irked me. It had nothing to do with the author comments, or the cover (I had a very pretty cover on mine and Tiina was quite jealous), but with the way a certain influential and well-known historical writer was represented at the end of the book. Vague, I know, but I don't want to spoil anything. Is this petty of me? I don't think so, I just know how I felt and went with that. I actually give it a 3.75 (4 on GR). I feel like for me it was above 3.5 but not a full 4. To some, that .25 of a percent might be insignificant, but it is huge people!

T: I wouldn’t say it’s petty since I know what Coll is talking about and the same thing annoyed me. It seemed like a last minute decision as it’d seemingly been a huge plot point throughout the book, but in the end the resolution was mentioned in passing. Very unsatisfying. So yeah, not quite a 4 star read for either of us but I would definitely recommend it to others. Well, mainly because Jane is every book lover’s spirit animal ;-) (You will get it when you read the book). I did enjoy the reading experience, and it was definitely unique among the books I’ve read.

C: Yeah overall I really had a great time reading this book. It is worth the read and I am glad that I own a signed copy of it (thanks Uppercase Box!). I also think a wide range of people would enjoy this book. It is fun, an easy read, and you will learn something from it too. I think it will also prompt people to go look into the story of the real Lady Jane (be prepared to be depressed from that though, fyi). So yeah, to make a long closing short, My Lady Jane is a really delightful book and we definitely recommend it.

“Armies aren't very good about carrying libraries with them. I can't imagine why. We'd fight so much less if everyone would just sit down and read”


If you want to hear from the author’s about how they, the writing process, and the book idea check out this adorable and very awesome Uppercase Box video on YouTube, with Cynthia, Brodi, and Jodi giving their accounts of everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zdiL83am0U

No comments:

Post a Comment