Thursday, September 29, 2016

September BOTM Review - The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo - Amy Schumer

Review by Coll
5 Stars
So I have never been big into stand-up comedy (or comedy in general) and it is rare that I find a comedian I really like a lot. I could probably count how many comedians I am a “fan of” on one hand. Amy Schumer happens to be one of them. So when I saw her book, The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo, was being offered for the September Book of the Month I had to choose it. It has been on my TBR since it came out and this seemed like a sign to me that the timing was right to read it. I am so damn happy I did. Memoirs are not the easiest thing to review, so this may be quite short, but there were a few things I felt I should say about this book.

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo is a memoir, but with a whole lot more mixed in. Add comedy, drama, sex, feminism, sarcasm, and a boatload of scathing honesty and there you have it. I don’t want to gush about Amy, but I just want to quickly explain what drew me to her in the first place. It is not just that I think she is hilarious, but I love what she stands for too. She is a strong-ass woman who is not afraid to speak her mind. She doesn’t let all the trolls destroy her and she doesn’t try to change herself to be more “acceptable”. And honestly, I believe she is 100% acceptable as is. If you didn’t know those things about her already, you will definitely learn them while reading this book.

Going into this book I knew it would be funny and I knew it would be brutally and wonderfully honest. What I did not know what how much soul, emotion, and heartbreak there would be in it. Amy is completely up-front with so many things that she has been through, things that I never even thought she had experienced. She comes off so perfectly flawed and I loved knowing that she was just like anyone else in the world and not afraid to show it. I also praise her so much for her honesty in this book and how she did not hold back one damn thing, no matter who it would piss off. She talked about her childhood, her parents, her start in comedy, her love life, and so much more and never once tried to make herself seem like some flawless celebrity on a pedestal. It was amazing.

One thing I really appreciated in this book was that even when she spoke about some very heavy things from her life, she always lightened it up with some humor. She would add something mocking or funny in parentheses and she would include sporadic lists throughout the book that always made me laugh. Admittedly, sometimes the parentheses remarks seemed a little forced, but more often than not I enjoyed them. My favorite chapters were ones where she would include a diary entry from when she was young and include footnotes with remark to her younger self. (This made me wish I had kept my journals from when I was younger to do the same thing.) She also includes pictures throughout the book, as all memoirs do, and they are a great mix of perfectly composed photos and completely hilarious and “unflattering” photos. We all need to admit that one of the best things about memoirs are the pictures and we always enjoy it more when some of them are just a hot mess. ;-)


If you are a fan of Amy you need to read this book. If you are not a fan and don’t know much about her but are interested, then I also recommend you read this book. I found it refreshing to hear a celebrity talk about their downfalls, mistakes, and not hold back anything because it made it much more personal and real. I felt like I got to know Amy Schumer through this book and that if I met her I would feel like I had known her for years. When it comes down to it, The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo made me not only love Amy Schumer more, but it also made me love myself more, and for that I thank her. I know that might sound weird, but if you read the book you will get it. Oh and yes, she really does have that lower back tattoo. ;-)

Interested in The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo? Check it out on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment