Friday, September 30, 2016

#FridayReads - September 30, 2016

Tiina
Every time I write the Friday Reads – even though several weeks have passed - it always feels like time has flown by and it’s been two days at the most. Time moves way too fast. I also know I say the same thing every time. Anyway, now on to my reading plans. They are not going to be majestic. I think my main aim today is to finish off the last 90 pages of The Sisters Brothers by Patrick Dewitt. This is a Western that features, you guessed it, the Sisters brothers, or brothers Sisters as I mistakenly call them all the time. They are mercenaries and the novel follows their journey from Oregon City to California; it’s violent, and filled with random sidequests. I’m not sure I fully understand it but at the same time it’s a fun read, somehow. What else? I’m in a bit of a slump after my holiday so I don’t know if I’ll continue with The Wrath and the Dawn that I started last Monday, or just pick up something else. Maybe a new adult novel? Elle Kennedy’s The Goal in the Off-Campus series is a definite contender. Books that read fast and are entertaining at the same time are good for when you need to get yourself out of a slump. Also, I have been highly anticipating it since I read the third over a month ago. I really can’t wait to conclude the series. I’m heading on a trip to Amsterdam on Sunday and may only make a dent in my audiobook (Samantha Young’s The One Real Thing) as opposed to reading physical books, but as we’re going into a long weekend, I may find some more reading time on Monday, as well. You deserve a gold star for reading that long sentence. In short, the reading slump has taken over so I don’t really know my mood yet. That’s it. This was rambly, but that’s me. What about you? What are you reading?

Coll
Well this will be a rainy and blah weekend in here in New York City so I will be spending plenty of time indoors reading. Part of me wishes for warm and sunny weather, but then a bigger part of me is happy for the blah weather so I can be lazy all weekend and just read, drink wine, and play video games. I started Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy on Monday so I will be continuing with that. It is not an easy read, which I don’t mind, and it is written in a very unique way which I find myself really drawn into. I can’t wait to get further into it and see where it goes. I am also working on Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. I have had this book for a while now and it is one of the King books I have actually not read yet. It contains two stories and is not so much scary and it is creepy and disturbing and I am obviously enjoying every second of it. To me it is perfect bedtime reading (Tiina would beg to differ). I am also still working on Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn for the Emma Watson book club, which I spoke about last week. Then I am hoping to start two new ones this weekend, both for Read Harder 2016 challenges. The first is Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai (East Asian author challenge), which is about a young girl who must relocate to America as a result of the Vietnam War. It is actually written in verse, which really intrigues me. Annnnnd, the final book I will mention is My Year Without Meat by Richard Cornish (for the food memoir challenge). It is about a man who was so in love with eating meat and decides to reevaluate his food lifestyle and how obsessed with meat he was by becoming vegetarian for a year. Being a vegetarian (and a person who was never in their life a big fan of meat) I am really interested to see what it was like for a meat lover to go to the extreme and turn vegetarian for a year. Whew, that is it for this #FridayReads I guess. Looks like Tiina and I have some big plans, now let us see if we follow through with them. ;-)

Happy weekend and happy reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment